Carlos Manzano Bio
Areas of Expertise
Business, management, integrated communications and marketing, branding, policy, public and government affairs, budgeting, project management, event development, and research.
Florida Atlantic University
- Ph.D. Candidate and Graduate Assistant
- Study Organization Theory and Behavior and research Communications in the public sector.
- Develop marketing and communication strategies to support the Dean's office at the College for Design and Social Inquiry which is made up of five schools: the School of Public Administration, School of Urban Planning, School of Architecture, School of Criminology, and the School of Social Work.
- Serve as a member of the Search Committee to identify the next dean for the College for Design and Social Inquiry.
Information Technology and Telecommunications, Director of Partnerships
Mr. Manzano developed and established strategic partnerships with 100 city agencies, technology firms, for-profit and nonprofit sectors, academia, governments, unions, and professional associations to advance agency goals. He implemented and delivered internal and external integrated communication and marketing plans to improve communications and effective use of technologies. With human resources, he provided support to increase employee and team engagement and promoted citywide projects and initiatives nationally and internationally. He collaborated through virtual networks, in-person, and other channels to share, enhance and adapt to emerging technologies and position New York as an innovative and technological-driven center.
New York University, Adjunct Professor
Mr. Manzano taught three graduate courses in the M.S. degree in Public Relations and Corporate Communications.
- Theory, History and Practice of Public Relations
- Public Relations Consulting
- Strategic Communications
He also served as an adviser to graduate students in their Capstone projects.
Mr. Manzano worked as a strategist and marketing and public relations consultant for business and individual clients. In this role, he advised clients on best practices and used project management methodology to develop, implement, monitor, and deliver on project plans. Additionally, he has been a commentator on political races in New York and advised local candidates on campaign strategies.
Office of the Mayor, Executive Director
Mr. Manzano served as the Mayor's executive director on the Commission on Latin Media and Entertainment (LMEC) from May 2007 to June 2012. As executive director, he led a 40-member board charged with developing business strategies and plans based on economic development, big events, marketing, public relations, and policy to meet the mission of making New York the capital of Latin media and entertainment. To deliver on these projects, Mr. Manzano worked closely with City Hall, elected and government officials, commissioners from many city agencies, the media, industry executives, consulates, professional and business associations, educational institutions, nonprofits, and many other citywide and nationwide organizations.
Many of these professional experiences were acquired working in the following areas:
- Independent consultant and project manager in information technology and marketing projects for businesses, elected officials and individuals.
- Assistant Commissioner for the Beacons program at the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) where he managed a budget of $39.7 million and a staff of 11.
- Project Coordinator for the Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (DoITT) supporting the GIS system, one of the biggest projects the city has ever undertaken. He was recognized with the 2001 Excellence in Technology Awards Program by City Hall and DoITT.
- Recertifier for Section 8 Housing.
- Administrative Assistant for the Board of Elections.
- Instructor and Teacher's Assistant for the New York City Department of Education.
Community Service & Public and Government Affairs
Mr. Manzano has strong experience in public, government and legislative affairs having worked with government and public officials at the municipal, state and federal levels to improve economic development and communities' quality of life.
He has been a long-time active member of the community on the Westside of Manhattan, serving on various community-based organizations such as:
- Community Board 4, Area Policy Board 4 and the Clinton Seed Fund.
- Student Outreach Program and Encore Senior Citizens Services.
- Member of the Midtown West Business Association and strong supporter of the small businesses that helped revitalize the community in the Hell's Kitchen (Clinton) neighborhood.
He has been a strong community leader and constituent liaison handling public and government affairs, public relations, fundraising, marketing, community outreach, constituent service, advocacy, policy and legislation tracking, research, and volunteers’ recruitment. He lobbied local, state and national elected and government officials to support specific legislations and to ensure community input throughout the process.
As a New York media executive, he was selected by the Israeli Consulate to travel to Israel with a nationwide delegation of U.S. Hispanic leaders from the media and entertainment industry. His professional and public service contributions have been recognized by New York University (Bart Lawson Award), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Queens Borough President's Office, Verizon Hispanic Group, the Ninth Avenue International Food Festival, the Puerto Rican Family Foundation, Colombia Exterior and the Metropolitan Police Officers Association from Washington, D.C.
He has been a speaker at schools and colleges: Norman Thomas High School, Martin Luther King High School, Park West High School, Newcomers High School, Queens College, Hunter College, City College, TCI College of Technology and New York University. In 2002 and 2005, he served as "Principal for a Day" through the "Pencil" program.
Mr. Manzano holds an M.S. degree in Public Relations and Corporate Communications and an M.P.A. degree in Management and Policy, both from New York University (NYU). He also holds a B.A. degree from Queens College which includes Spanish Literature summer courses at Universidad Complutense in Madrid, Spain.
He is a certified Project Management Professional (PMP) from the Project Management Institute and a certified Business Project Management professional from NYU.
He completed the following Coursera courses:
- Social Entrepreneurship – Copenhagen Business School
- Gamification and Marketing – Wharton University of Pennsylvania
- Foundations of Business Strategy – University of Virginia, Darden School of Business
- Developing Innovative Ideas for New Companies: The First Step in Entrepreneurship - University of Maryland
- Innovation for Entrepreneurs: From Idea to Marketplace - University of Maryland
- On Strategy: What Managers Can Learn from Philosophy - CentraleSupéle, Paris
- Questionnaire Design for Social Surveys – University of Michigan
- International Leadership and Organizational Behavior - Bocconi Università Commerciale, Milan
- Design Thinking for Business Innovation - University of Virginia
He is fluent in English and Spanish and has limited working proficiency of Italian and elementary proficiency in French.